Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Day to Remember!

So fitting that my first post on this blog would be an accomplishment I will always treasure.

I conquered the cinnamon roll.

Yes, dear cinnamon roll, I've won. I've figured you out. Ya know, I never understood why you and I didn't get along. You were fine with so many others, I didn't know what I did wrong. And I tried to be nice. But after 6 years of trying to be your friend I finally got angry and I admit, I started a little backbiting. I said some negative things about you. I know that whole "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" routine, but I didn't care. And I didn't give up. Oh, you didn't know I was tenacious?

But I did it! I made a GOOD cinnamon roll. And part of me wants to play the sore winner side. Thoughts of "EAT THAT SUCKA!" are definitely running through my head, (and I ALMOST stuck my tongue out, with my thumbs in my ears and my remaining fingers wiggling.) But I'm going to be the bigger person. So I will just say, I welcome you. Oh, and I apologize for the mean things I said. I look forward to years of brown sugar swirls, vanilla icing, and sticky fingers.

(What, you think I'd be selfish and not share? Recipe below)

The BEST Cinnamon Rolls
1 1/4 c. warm water
1 1 /2 c. sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. yeast

Add together and let set for 10 minutes. Then add-

1 1/4 c. melted butter (Hey, I didn't say they were HEALTHY!)
1 1 /4 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 1/2 c. mashed potatoes
9 c. flour (1 c. at a time)

Knead until smooth, then let rise until double. Divide dough into two equal portions and roll each out into a large rectangle. Spread with softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. (I don't use measurements for these, so...) Roll them up, cut them into 1 1/2 in. pieces, and let them rise a 2nd time, until doubled. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-16 minutes.

Enjoy!
XOXO

9 comments:

Kierstin said...

ooooooooooooh! I'm so gonna make these for my little brood. They'll love 'em. Thanks for sharing this gem of roll wisdom with us.

Misty said...

Congrats on becoming Conqueror of the Cinnamon Roll!

Bruce and Mitzi said...

You crack me up, and those look delicious!

Rachel Banks said...

Brooke! Now I'm REALLY mad that we moved. Those looks delicious!

Makell said...

Congratulations O conqueress of the kitchen and royal roll maker. Now bring some over next time, will ya?

Melanie said...

Brooke, a very entertaining post and I will admit that I am a bit jealous. Cinnamon rolls are one of the many items on my list of "things to do well" that I have yet to master. high fives all around!!!

Liz said...

Oh my goodness! Am I invted over for breakfast???? They look awesome!! GOod to see you the other night...let do it more often.
Liz

Mitchell Family said...

YUMMMM-MEEEE! We'll be trying!

Kierstin said...

k, can I use potato pearls instead of making mashed potatoes? or is that too much extra flavoring?