Thursday, April 22, 2010

Self-Proclaimed Feminist

In the last couple weeks I've experienced two examples of "Feminism." But first, I must tell you...I am a feminist.

I can explain! This all starts with one of my favorite stories in the Old Testament; The story of Adam and Eve. Here's how I imagine it went down. (And may I not be struck down for putting these thoughts on paper, er, screen.)

Adam and Eve were taught in that Garden. I like to think that, when Eve was faced with the choice to partake of that darned fruit, she outweighed all her options. Knowing what her actual role was, and what was needed to fulfill that role, she made a calculated decision. Satan, thinking he got the better of her, was thrilled at first, but then realized later that he had been tricked. By a woman. She knew what she was doing-he just didn't know that. Satan took his immature revenge on her offspring. And we see the effects of it to this day. Women are definitely viewed as the weaker, or lesser sex. In all honesty, this aftermath doesn't bother me so much. I find more pride in the knowledge that our first Earthly mother got the best of him.

So here were the two examples I alluded to earlier.

1)I heard a news story on the radio about a bunch of "feminists" marching through the streets of Washington-topless. Their reason? Men can walk around without shirts! Why can't women! THEN! (This was the funny part to me), they were angry because a group of men stood around them during the whole ordeal and snapped pictures. Apparently that was crossing some line. (It's not rocket science ladies, take a stab at why you think they were there! Morons.)

2) I just finished reading the book, The Red Tent. (Side note-I'm not sure if I'm recommending the book right now-there are parts that are, as my sister so lovingly put it, icky. So consider yourself warned.) It's about Dinah, the only daughter of Jacob from the Old Testament. Dinah and her four "moms" were strong women. They reveled in being female. The day Aunt Flo comes to visit for the first time is practically a cause for celebration. The ability to carry children is considered a great privilege. Midwives were viewed as God-like. They were able to steer their husband in any direction-all while convincing that husband it was all part of HIS brilliant plan. Men were great and all; I mean, they definitely served a purpose, but these women were so wrapped up in the blessings given solely to them.

So here's my question-
Since when did feminism mean being treated like a man? Why can't women celebrate just being who they are? Isn't that TRUE feminism? I'm asking this because there are things I complain about-that horrid week each month in which I'm crampy and crabby, the pregnancy pains and aftermath to my body, the roles that fall on my lap as the "Housewife and mom". But I'm thinking those are the things we should celebrate. Look at what our bodies can do! Look at how our feelings are so in tune to others! Look at this natural nurturing we have! Look at our ability to multi-task! Look how we can turn our husbands in any direction, while convincing him it was all his idea! And although it's at times a curse, look at our constant need to be better! Are we ever just content with where we are? I would argue that we are not.

I'm not saying that some men don't posses a couple of these same qualities. But I'll be honest, almost every woman I know has almost ALL of these qualities. Maybe we should throw ourselves big parties during that time of the month. (I'm pretty sure a pedicure would solve my grumpies.) And when we've checked off 2 or 3 things off our to-do list, we should have a Dove Dark Chocolate. And next time I'm pregnant, I should find a way to pamper myself at least once a week. (However, I'm pretty sure I'll forget this one.) Because gosh dern it, being a woman is POWER! Ya feel it??

So fellow women-enjoy being a girl. Celebrate all the things we do and CAN do. And for heaven's sakes, keep your shirt on. :)



4 comments:

Makell said...

I still can't get over the topless feminists!! That just tells you how far from reality these psycho fems are - they are totally missing the boat. I loved your thoughts on actually celebrating the feminine side of feminism. Ha! What a concept! Who knew!

The Smoots said...

Hahaha!!! Amen sister! You are hilarious!

Melanie said...

Brooke - You REALLY are a great writer. I am totally entertained every time I read your blog. :)

Karen and Adam said...

I LOVE it! I'm sending in the first pre-order on your book....